Indie, Press (-ed for Time)

So, I'm about to break all the rules of Blogging 101. I'll apologize for my absence. Then I'll whine about being in a time crunch, running out of pertinent stuff to post, worrying about balancing it all and remaining creatively productive. If you want to skip out on this post, please don't think I'll take offense.

But before you go, consider this: maybe those rules evolved to shield us from grappling with a greater truth. Maybe they're an unfair gag order slapped on beleaguered writers so we can keep our collective myths intact. Just like the American Dream mythology, the one that says we can all pick ourselves up by our bootstraps and rise through the social and economic ranks to land on top like Bill Gates and Donald Trump, we writers embrace the notion that no matter our current station and circumstances, we too could hit big like Stephanie Meyers and James Patterson. That hard work will triumph over all manner of odds.

Bullshit.

I didn't intend to swear. That just sort of slipped out. But it's the truth. We are being sold a bill of goods, folks. Don't get me wrong; I certainly don't mean it's impossible to beat odds, break out, work hard and succeed. What I do mean is this: Not all of us will. And not all of us have time to follow some prescribed formula to success. What's more, let's acknowledge that lots of the writers who are successful did none of the things the self-appointed gurus are holding out as the only way to make it. They're just making money by selling us their guides to "get rich published quick."

For me, I've discovered the difficulty of keeping up with social media (a solid blog schedule, tweeting daily, maintaining facebook) while researching, writing, critiquing, revising, querying my WIPs. Along with researching the ever changing nature of publication, both traditional and indie.

And did I mention I work fifty to sixty hours a week, commute an hour a day, and have huge caretaking responsibilities? So, yeah. Priorities do matter. We can't have it all, at least not all at the same time. Something has to give. For me, it's been my writing.

That needs to change.

I started writing as a way to nurture my overloaded soul. Today I reclaim that path, and will follow it where it leads and at a pace which allows me time to enjoy the journey. If this means I blog infrequently, tweet sporadically, and generally drop out of the social scene from time to time, so be it.

No apologies.

Please weigh in: how do you handle it all?

3 comments:

  1. Good luck Callie! We don't have the balance worked out entirely, either, but it's important to include the things that make you feel happy and fulfilled.

    And you forgot the myth about a poor kid from a one-room-cabin who can grow up to be President. ;)
    erica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement, Erica & Christy. and yes, there are a few of those myths floating out there, aren't there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I'm looking for your contact info for a book review/post?
    Can you email me at EdenLiterary at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete